Friday, June 4, 2010

It Twirls!

So, I'm one down in the big Sew What Challenge. My chosen material for the month is knits, I have a bit of it in my stash (some from half-done projects that went catastrophically wrong), and it's crazy cheap at Fabricland right now too.

This week the challenge was a skirt for mama or child in your fabric type or denim.
I made a skirt for myself because my sweetie gets a little twitchy when I mention dressing Teddy in girl clothes.


It's a skirt for my Flamenco class; now PROPER flamenco practice skirts are long and SUPER SUPER twirly and sometimes ruffly (some of my favorite things) but as we are just learning we need to be able to see our feet and leggies in the mirrors. So this skirt is knee length. But it does twirl! See:


And I'm actually fairly happy with it. The back has an extra gore/panel for more swishiness and it feels like you HAVE to swing your hips and wiggle when you wear it.
But using knits is... an experience? I chose them because I was hoping to learn something through the process and so far I've learned why I generally avoid them.
That said, the finished project is much more forgiving than it feels like it's going to be when it's in progress (if that makes sense?).
I'm hoping by the end of the challenge I will have learned to love knits or at least learned some really good new swears.
Can't wait to see what those girls have up next!
x

2 comments:

  1. You had me @ Flemenco! This is wonderful and I love the twirly photo! I can't wait to showcase this! Do you find ballpoint needles help? I found stretch needles definitely work with stretchy fabrics so I bought needles for knits but have yet to use them. I am looking forward to learning about knits with you. :) Thanks so much for sewing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The twirly photo is great! Knits scare me a little bit... I use them sometimes, but only if I have no other options. Looking forward to sewing along with you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails